Yes, it can. As I write in December 2017 it is 1 degree outside and 23 degrees inside. The sun is shining ! All I have to do is to open the Velux rooflight and a door and cool air will flow through the house.
WHAT DOES "PASSIVE HOUSE" MEAN?
November 30th 2016. Minus 4.5 outside, 22.4 inside. Sunshine!
WHAT MAKES DICK'S HOUSE PASSIVE?
- It uses very little (none) energy for heating - during the 5 winters I have been here the heating has never come on at all!
- It gains most of its heat through the south wall, which is fully glazed.
- All the windows are triple glazed
- There is 40 cms of insulation in the walls and ceiling, and even more under the floor
- The house is practically airtight
- There is a heat-exchange ventilation system, so that heat doesn't escape
- The fresh air coming in is at a constant 10-12 degress all year round, thanks to a "puit canadien".
- There is an air- source heat pump to provide hot water